Historical Military Landmarks
Near this site in June 1775, a group of fifty-five patriots signed a document of freedom, known as the "Liberty Point Resolves", one year before the Declaration of Independence was signed. A granite marker commemorates their pledge to the cause of Independence and lists fifty-five signers names. Liberty Point is not only a locally cherished historical area but also a vestige of early street patterns with its notable triangular plot.
On August 23, 1793, the Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry was organized after Congress enacted the Militia Act. It is still NC’s official historic military command. The company offers a number of sites to see in Cumberland County:
Parade Grounds: Isaac Hammond’s Gravesite
The fifer, Isaac Hammond, lies buried here. Hammond became the first fifer in the Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry and served 30 years. He also served in the 10th NC Regiment Continental Line during the Revolutionary War. He became a barber in town and participated in politics even though blacks were not permitted to vote at the time.
A large monument on the parade ground marks the 200th anniversary of the F.I.L.I. The monument has a three-stage rusticated granite base, two marble columns with upside down sandstone Corinthian caps topped with rectangular granite table and the inscription “1793 Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry 1993”
Armory & Museum
The Armory & Museum houses two centuries of documents and artifacts for the company, including minutes from the very first meeting and the carriage that the Marquis de Lafayette is thought to have ridden in during his 1825 visit to Fayetteville. By Appointment Only, 910-433-1457.
Marching to Wilmington after the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, stopped with his army in this town, April, 1781. General Cornwallis stayed in Cross Creek on his way to Yorktown. Located on Green Street.
On March 4-5 1825, was guest to Fayetteville (named for him in 1783), staying at home of Duncan McRae, on site of present courthouse. Located at Gillespie Street at Franklin Street.
Located on Ann Street, a statue in Cross Creek Park honors Fayetteville’s namesake.
The Battle of Monroe's Crossroads began at dawn on March 10, 1865 as Confederate cavalry stormed a Union encampment. The Union soldiers awoke to attack and scrambled for their weapons. A notable occurrence was when a Confederate Captain asked a Union soldier dressed only in his undergarments, "Where's General Kilpatrick?" The Union soldier, Kilpatrick himself, replied, "There he goes on that horse." This exchange is now known as "Kilpatrick's Skeedaddle." The Confederates promptly raced after the man on the horse. The battle lasted half a day and closed when Confederate forces were unable to continue offensives against the Union troops.
Sandy Grove Presbyterian Church was founded and built in 1854, as a congregation off-shoot from Long Street Church. The land for this church was donated by Peter Monroe, who, along with his extended family is buried in the adjacent cemetery. This one-story wooden church served the rural Scottish community until it was purchased by the U.S. Army in 1922. The church was modified in the early 1900s by a vestibule and steeple addition, changing its appearance. The community/church cemetery contains 214 graves, the oldest of which dates 1759. Services are sometimes held here for descendant groups and visiting military units.
Long Street Presbyterian Church is one of the first established in this area, along with Bluff and Barbeque churches, during the mid-1700s. The first congregation, composed of Highland Scots who settled in the area, met in 1756 in McKay’s meeting house, until 1765 when the first Long Street Church was built out of logs. Likely built with slave labor, the standing two-story wooden church was completed in 1847 and represents the third church of this Argyle Community. Built on land owned by Duncan McLaughlin, the building and 6 acres were sold to the congregation in 1850.
Sandford House is the main building on Heritage Square. Built in 1800, this Federal style home has been the residence for several prominent families of Scottish heritage who came up the Cape Fear River to settle in Fayetteville. The first to reside in this home was Duncan McLeran. He was a prominent citizen and one of the first elders of First Presbyterian Church. The next family to live here was John Adam and wife Sarah Donaldson. His father Robert Adam was an important local Scottish merchant and the first Commander of the Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry (F.I.L.I.).
In 1820, the structure was purchased for use as the Bank of the United States, the first federal bank in North Carolina. John W. Sandford was the teller of the bank and he and his family resided upstairs on the top floor while the bank was in operation. The first floor was the bank and the basement held the vault. When the bank was discontinued in 1832, John W. Sandford purchased the building for his family home. Other prominent citizens lived in this home until it was purchased by The Woman’s Club of Fayetteville in 1945. According to local tradition, the residence was used as a barracks for Union troops during Gen. William T. Sherman’s occupation of Fayetteville in March 1865.
The Averasboro Battlefield Site Complex marks the spot of a Civil War battle that began on March 15, 1865. The battle was the result of a Confederate offensive maneuver to delay Union General Sherman’s progress through the South. Battle casualties were high for both armies. The Yankees reported 477 casualties, while the Confederates lost approximately 500. A little over 24 hours after the battle began, it ended with the Confederacy withdrawing its troops after achieving its mission.The battlefield is marked with interpretive signage pinpointing key physical locations within the battle. The site also contains two plantation homes: Oak Grove, which was built in 1793 and Lebanon, built in 1825.
Organized in 1758, Old Bluff Presbyterian Church is one of oldest Presbyterian churches in Cumberland County. This church along with Long Street Presbyterian and Barbeque Presbyterian Churches provided the Scottish population of the Upper Cape Fear Valley with longtime formal congregations. The present Greek Revival structure was built in 1858. The present day Bluff Presbyterian Church congregation, located in nearby Wade, maintains the old church.
As you face north entering the Old Bluff churchyard and cemetery, you are pointed in the direction in which the lead element of Union Gen. William T. Sherman’s Left Wing advanced on March 14, 1865. Over two days, the wing’s 30,000 officers and men, with their supplies and equipment, passed by in the face of sporadic and increasing Confederate resistance. That resistance culminated in the Battle of Averasboro on March 15–16 and the Battle of Bentonville on March 19–21.
Early on March 15, half a mile north along the Fayetteville-Raleigh Stage Road, Confederate cavalrymen skirmished with the Union vanguard at Silver Run Creek and Mill Pond. Later, Sherman established temporary headquarters there. The rainy weather that week made the roadway nearly impassable and the soldiers miserable. Despite the terrible weather, at nightfall on March 15, Union Col. William Hawley’s brigade prepared for a hot meal and a night’s rest here at Bluff Church after working all day corduroying the road. At 7:30 p.m., however, the brigade was called forward to assist the Union cavalry, which was halted and engaged, as the Battle of Averasboro began. One of the soldiers described the seven-mile trek to the battle site by saying, "Men had their shoes sucked off by the mud, while others stumbled, lost their guns, and were thankful that they were not trampled under by the moving column and buried alive."
The adjacent cemetery is one of the oldest in the county. Many early Scottish settler and merchant families are buried there: including Colonel Alexander McAllister (a leading county patriot in the American Revolution), Farquhard Campbell and David Marshall (Carbine) Williams (helped develop the semi-automatic M1 Carbine rifle used in World War II).
After the war, Mrs. Kyle and a group of Fayetteville women worked together to erect a monument in memoriam of the Confederate dead. To raise funds, the women raffled a homemade silk quilt and sold tickets for a dollar each. The monument was erected in 1868 and is the oldest Confederate monument in North Carolina.
Another memorial was dedicated by John R. Tolar in the late 1860s, in remembrance of his father and eight uncles who were killed or disabled during the war. In addition to the Confederate dead, many other Civil War veterans, both Southern and Northern, are interred in the cemetery.
As Union General Sherman was making his way through Fayetteville with his army during the Civil War, a number of battles and skirmishes occurred in the area. The Confederate soldiers threw up breastworks early in 1865 to defend Fayetteville from Sherman’s army.
Confederate Women’s Home
The Confederate Women’s Home was built in 1915 for the widows and daughters of North Carolina’s Confederate veterans, but was torn down during the 1960’s. It was located in the open empty lot beside the school and was torn down in the 1960's. About 300 yards from this marker is the Confederate Women’s Cemetery, which dates back to the 1800's. It’s marked by a brick column archway entrance next to the Gee Graveyard. Even though it is overgrown, the stones are visible. Glenville Avenue
- 59,000 sq. ft. building with 23,000 sq. ft. main exhibit hall
- 240-seat large-screen theater featuring a specially-produced movie showing these forces in action
- 24-seat simulator that allows riders to "experience" a helicopter attack, parachute jump and off-road pursuit
- Vivid life-size dioramas
- Interactive displays
- Rare artifacts
- Memorial Garden, parade area and unit memorials on 6.5 acre site
- Gift shop
Located at 100 Bragg Blvd (at intersection of Hay Street). Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sunday noon-5 p.m.; Closed Mondays; Open Federal Holiday Mondays.
Gift shop. Building D-2502, Ardennes and Marion Streets. Open Tuesday - Sunday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, call 910-432-4272 or 910-432-1533.
Col. Arthur Bull Simmons Statue
Statue dedicated to a heroic special forces soldier that went above and beyond the call of duty throughout his long military career. One of many great American heroes, Colonel "Bull" Simon, was the overall ground commander of the famous Son Tay Raid in 1970. He later rescued two American businessmen kidnapped during the Iranian Revolution for H. Ross Perot.
The first state park dedicated to military veterans — young and old... living or deceased... from all branches of the Armed Services: Army, Navy Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard.
With its rich military heritage, Fayetteville is the perfect place to house the North Carolina Veterans Park. The city’s beautifully revitalized downtown is a fitting location, given the spirit of renewal embodied in the park. What’s more, North Carolina is proud to call itself the “Most Military Friendly” state, and the Veterans Park incorporates many natural and architectural elements that represent the state. Symbolic features pay homage to the veterans from over 100 North Carolina counties and represent the citizens who support them.
For more information, visit ncveteranspark.org
A variety of activities may be available for groups. Please contact Community Affairs office for scheduling. (910) 396-5401.