Fort Bragg, NC 28310
The present Long Street Presbyterian Church, built in 1846 on land donated by Duncan McLaughlin in 1850, served as the third church of the Argyle Community, a Scottish hamlet settled in the 1750s. The adjoining cemetery contains over 232 graves (earliest readable marker is 1773, latest is 1932), including Confederate veterans (former congregation members), and memorials honoring military servicemen. During the Civil War the church served as an enlistment center for a volunteer unit, the "Carolina Boys", comprised of Murdock McRae McLauchlin, the Long Street Academy schoolmaster and selected Captain, along with his pupils, all members of local Presbyterian Church congregations at Long Street, Sandy Grove and China Grove. In 1866, the remains of some 30 Confederate soldiers killed at Monroe's Crossroads (March 10, 1865) were exhumed from the battlefield and re-interred in the church cemetery, where a marker was installed in 1870, by the women of Argyle.