Fort Bragg, NC 28310
This single-story wooden church was completed in 1854, on land once owned by Peter Monroe. It served a rural community in what was once western Cumberland County, until purchased by the Army in 1922. Members of the church were Highland Scots and organized by parishioners from the early Long Street Presbyterian Church several miles to the east. Architecturally, it contains elements of a Greek Revival style, with its symmetrical floor plan and tall windows. Modifications were made in 1917, to add a front vestibule, steeple and arches to the windows. According to Presbyterian doctrine the sexes and races would also have sat segregated during services. Double front doors are still visible, now on the interior. A rear door once provided access for the enslaved members.
The adjacent cemetery contains 214 known graves, the earliest of which dates 1859, and the latest is 1977. Various surnames reflect the Scottish heritage of the area. Veterans from several wars are also interred at this graveyard. Annual reunions of congregation descendants are still held here.