If interested, send your resume and cover letter to Jennifer Betshlimon at JBetshlimon@visitfayettevillenc.com.
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Some evening and weekend work is required. Some Travel Required.
NATURE OF WORK:
Performs professional duties in developing and implementing communications programs for the Fayetteville Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, Inc. (FACVB). The position requires independent judgment and discretion in creating concise, error-free information materials to advance the promotion of the communities of Cumberland County as a desirable destination for meetings, tournaments, and individual travel. Work is performed under the general supervision of the DOTM. Performance is evaluated through a review of accomplishments and the attainment of objectives.
- Proactively provide information, assistance, and services to members of the travel and trade media, bloggers, influencers, and locals, to gain stories and other positive publicity for Fayetteville/Cumberland County and FACVB successes. To include:
- Plans and coordinates media familiarization tours.
- Actively works to attract travel writers and bloggers to cover Fayetteville/ Cumberland County.
- Produces and updates media materials as needed.
- Develops materials, including articles and press releases in coordination with Public Relations (PR) agency. Looks for patterns to extend outreach.
- Reaches out to all media and associates through all channels. Ensures the media/press section of the website is current.
- Networks with media through social channels, including TravMedia.
- Augments PR contacts and works in concert with FACVB contracted partners, agencies, and subordinates.
- Attends media tradeshows to share story ideas. Follows up as appropriate.
- Maximizes media exposure of FACVB activities and achievements in collaboration with PR Agency.
- Works closely with other FACVB departments on media outreach and placements for their incoming groups and to build sales leads/prospects.
- Works with Visit NC and their PR agency for inclusion.
- Produces promotional materials, such as presentations, email newsletters, and related platforms. Includes:
- Assists in the development of the Annual Strategic Plan.
- Assists other departments with various communications needs.
- Writes and produces monthly and other email newsletters.
- Ensures open dialogue with all FACVB departments for adequate workflow.
- Uses communication tools to effectively keep team members informed of FACVB activities.
- Works with the Director of Information Technology and Data Management to become proficient in the Content Management System (CMS) to upload blogs and images and understand website standards.
- Collaborates with media agency to ensure social media program is implemented as outlined in regularly scheduled meetings. Assists in implementation when needed. Specific responsibilities:
- Educates self and others about opportunities on TripAdvisor and GoogleMy Business.
- Manages community presence on TripAdvisor, GoogleMyBusiness, and VisitNC.
- Others as determined by FACVB alignment efforts.
- Point of contact for our internal image library. Responds to media, event planner, group operator, and team member requests for images. Organizes and maintains a library of all images. Fine-tunes with team members for ease of use of directory and ability to find photography.
- Maintains electronic files of all FACVB products, including any print ads. Updates at least every quarter.
- Serves as a point of contact for VisitNC extranet database.
- Maintains and participates in appropriate industry networks. Continuously educates self and team members on press and media trends in the tourism industry. Educates on the latest social and technology applications.
- Other tasks as deemed necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of principles of effective communications and mass media, publicity, advertising, and community relations, including a working knowledge of newspaper, radio, television, and related media operations and practices.
- Proficient in various social media platforms and software, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Flickr, Crowdriff, Mailchimp, and Canva.
- Knowledge and ability to analyze research, marketing strategies, publicity, and promotions programs and needs.
- Ability to learn and maintain knowledge of FACVB organizational policies and goals that apply to the area of responsibility.
- Ability to gather, compile, and compose information for news releases, newsletters, informational brochures, and other related materials and to design effective and attractive publications and other written materials concisely and accurately.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with co-workers, media representatives, public officials, and others throughout the community.
- Ability to plan, organize and effectively present ideas and concepts to groups and to communicate effectively and professionally orally and in writing.
- Ability to assimilate information from various sources, analyze information, and recommend a course of action to be taken to enhance the goals and objectives of the FACVB.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in the performance of job duties and to represent the FACVB in a positive, enthusiastic, and professional manner.
- Ability to develop, recommend and maintain technical media and production services, supplies and equipment.
- Maintain a working knowledge of computer programs, including Microsoft Office Suite, Grammarly, Simpleview, and other computer programs required by the position.
- Build a working knowledge of the tourism industry to include Cumberland County and the assets contained within.
- Ability to be self-sufficient.
- Ability to request training needs and implement current trends and lessons acquired.
- Ability to lift, push and carry up to 35 pounds.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in communications, marketing, journalism, resort management, or a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Have a demonstrated ability to prepare press releases and blogs/articles and communicate effectively with members of the media.
- Prior Destination Marketing Organization (DMO)/Visitor Bureau experience in a similar capacity and background in the hospitality industry and/or marketing, is preferred but not required.
- Experience with the necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities, as noted above.