The United States Arsenal in Fayetteville, North Carolina was destroyed by the same government that commissioned its construction. After the War of 1812, the U.S. wanted to expand its defenses and commissioned the construction of five arsenals. Fayetteville, NC was chosen as a site for one of those new arsenals. The Confederacy used the arsenal to produce rifles, ammunition, and gun carriages. Union troops, commanded by Gen. William T. Sherman, destroyed the facility in 1865.