This monument is the oldest Confederate memorial in North Carolina. It was placed in 1868 at Cross Creek Cemetery. The monument, placed only 3 1/2 years after the Civil War's end, was done so by local ladies in Fayetteville, who raised the funds to build the memorial. It is located in the Confederate graveyard portion of Cross Creek Cemetery #1. The monument was dedicated on December 30, 1868.