Fort Bragg Road at Glenville Avenue in Fayetteville, N 35°03.859, W 78°54.757
Godwin, NC 28344
At the 1908 convention of the North Carolina Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC), Mrs. Hunter G. Smith proposed the establishment of a home in North Carolina for Confederate widows and daughters. The home opened on November 18, 1915, and the UDC accepted it as a charge from the state.
In 1982, the two-story brick building was razed and the land was made part of the campus of Terry Sanford High School, which adjoined the tract. Sixty-five women are buried in a cemetery on the grounds. (Its counterpart, the Confederate Soldiers Home for Veterans, operated in Raleigh from 1891 to 1938).