This church was chartered in 1801, and the current building was built in 1893. The congregation was founded by Henry Evans, a black shoemaker and Methodist preacher. His arrival into Fayetteville was the beginning of Methodism in Fayetteville and eastern North Carolina. Evans preached to a congregation of both blacks and whites. By the 1870s, the church became a part of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. A tablet in the basement marks the grave of Henry Evans.