From the church website: The history of the Falling Run Missionary Baptist Church dates back to the year 1872. That was the year that Reverend William Devane, assisted by the Reverend Ransom Royal, and a group was sent out by the First Baptist Church of Fayetteville, North Carolina for the expressed purpose of organizing a church in this section of Cumberland County. This church was located near the East Banks of the Cape Fear River, about three miles from its present location.
Reverend Devane came to Cumberland County at the request of James Kelly, Sr. and Washington Evans who had met him at a meeting, then known as the Old Grays Creek Association. Reverend Devane made the journey up the Cape Fear River by steamboat in the latter part of 1871. He was unsuccessful in finding the proper persons; therefore, he was forced by circumstances to return to his home in Kelly, North Carolina. Later in the same year, Reverend Devane attempted another voyage up the river by boat. This time, he was successful in finding some of the people of the community. Among the first to meet him were Allen McDaniel and his wife, Margrett. These three formed a friendly relationship. Reverend Devane very quickly sensed the need of the people for they had recently come out from under the chains of slavery.
Reverend Devane immediately began to minister to both the spiritual and intellectual needs of the people by preaching the gospel and teaching school under a brush shelter built by the people of the community. Later a frame building was erected which was used for worship and teaching. During the time of his teaching, the following persons came under his tutorship: Rachel McDaniel, Lillious Wilson, Maggie Wilson, Annie Jane Evans, Floretta Smith, Thomas Smith and others.
Final preparations were made for the organization of the church in January 1872, with the following persons constituting its membership: the first Deacons, Washington Evans and Allen McDaniel, Brothers Charles P. Evans, Wesley McDaniel, Toney Melvin, and Sisters Rachel McDaniel, Winnie McDaniel, Marzella Evans, and Margrett McDaniel. Others were soon baptized and joined. Thus, Falling Run Missionary Baptist Church began its growth. In 1894, this present plot of land was purchased and the church, which was a framed structure, relocated. In 1953, feeling the need for a more modern edifice, a new structure was erected. We entered the present building for worship in 1959.