Fayetteville State University is the second oldest public university in North Carolina that is a part of the University of North Carolina System. The college was originally named the Howard School for African-Americans and was founded in 1867. It was named after General O.O. Howard, director of the Freedman's Bureau, when seven black men purchased land for $136. In 1877, the Howard School was designated as the first State Colored Normal School to educate African-American teachers. In 1939, it became a four year college and in 1972, it became part of the UNC System. At the Chesnutt Library, historical artifacts, such as E.E. Smith's sword, can be viewed in the archives room.