The original Howard School was named in honor of O.O. Howard, Union General and later Director of the Freedman's Bureau. The school was founded and constructed in 1867 on Gillespie Street. It remained at this location until 1902 when the school moved to a larger property in Ashley Heights. Aycock Hall was named in honor of former Governor Charles B. Aycock. This building was constructed in 1908 on the Murchison Road property and was the first brick building built on the present campus. Aycock Hall was also the first brick building to be constructed on the new campus after the school relocated from Ashley Heights. This one building housed the entire school for two years.
Buildings in Chronological Order
Vance Hall: The original Vance was constructed in 1910 and named in honor of Governor Zebulon Vance who had lobbied for the first state appropriation to the school. It functioned as the girl's dormitory and the school's dining hall until 1957 when the building was demolished. The new Vance Hall was constructed on the original site in 1966 as a boy's dormitory. 1966 cost $773,000.
Smith Administration Building: This building, constructed in 1922, was named in honor President E.E. Smith. Smith housed laboratories, classrooms, an assembly hall and offices. $230,000 Bickett Hall This building was constructed in 1922 honor of Governor T. W. Bickett and functioned primarily as a girls dormitory.
Cook Dining Hall: Built in 1923, the building was named in honor of Henry Lilly Cook, a member and later chairman of the school's Board of Trustees. It is the oldest building on campus. Currently the building houses ITTS. $93,000
Mitchell Industrial Arts Building: Built in 1923, the Industrial Arts Building was named in honor of John W. Mitchell, an Agricultural Specialist. The building was used as classrooms and work areas for industrial and mechanical trades. Building was demolished in the early 1960s.
Presidents' Residence: Constructed in 1924, the building served as the official home of the university's presidents from E.E. Smith to Dr. Charles "A" Lyons.
James M. Paige Alumni House: Built in 1924, this building has been used as the Chancellor's residence, faculty dining and Office of Alumni Relations. $13,000
Alumni Gates: The Alumni Memorial Gates were built in 1925. Joyner Hall This building was constructed in 1930 and named in honor of Dr. J.Y. Joyner, State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Joyner Hall served as the girls' dormitory. $57,000
Newbold Laboratory School: This building, constructed in 1930, was named in honor of Dr. N. C. Newbold, the State Director for Negro Education. It housed a grade school, auditorium, cafeteria and offices for Normal student's teacher training. $88,000. This building was recently demolished.
Chesnutt Library: The original library was constructed in 1937 and now serves as the Telecommunications Building. The Chesnutt Library constructed in 1968 is now the Helen Chick Building. The current library was originally constructed in 1987. This building is named in honor of Charles Waddell Chesnutt, second principal of the Howard School (1881-83) and renowned African-American author. $8,299,000
Harris Hall: This building, constructed in 1938, was named in honor of Robert Harris, one of the founders of the Howard School and its first principal. It serves as a girls' dormitory. $71,000
Lilly Gymnasium: This building was constructed in 1938 and named in honor of Dr. H. W. Lilly, Secretary-Treasurer of the school's Board of Trustees. $317,000
Taylor Science Building: The Taylor Science Building was constructed in 1939 and named in honor of Robert R. Taylor, the first Black graduate of MIT. Taylor was a member of Booker T. Washington's Tuskegee Cabinet. He became the first Black member of the FSU Board of Trustees in 1937. The Taylor Social Science Annex was built in 1968. $122,000
Hood Hall: Hood Hall was built in 1939 and renovated in 1954. It was named after James Walker Hood, Assistant Superintendent of Schools and Freedman's Bureau circa 1870. $57,000
University Police Department Security Building: Built in 1951. Houses campus police. $23,090 Williams Hall Built in 1952 as a mens' dormitory. Named after College Principal 1888-1895, George Williams. $128,000
Smith Hall: Built in 1953 as a dormitory for young women faculty members and named in honor of Nannie L. Smith, wife of E.E. Smith. $230,000
Seabrook Auditorium: This building was constructed in 1953 and named in honor of Dr. James W. Seabrook, the school's fifth president. It was renovated in 2003. $7,965,000
Mitchell Building: Constructed in 1955 as the Mitchell Pre-School Building, after John W. Mitchell, an Agricultural Specialist. The building currently houses Police and Public Safety. $50,000
Spaulding Infirmary: Named in honor of C. C. Spaulding, a black businessman who presided over NC Mutual Life Insurance Company. The infirmary was constructed in 1955. $104,000
Rosenthal Fine Arts Building: Built in 1966 and named in honor of Emil Rosenthal, a trustee for thirty years who was a Greensboro native. $420,685
Bryant Hall: Constructed in 1966, the building served as a girls' dormitory. It was named in honor of Professor Dunnie A. Bryant, a dorm matron for 26 years. $607,000
Joseph Knuckles Science Annex: Built in 1968 and named in honor of Dr. Joseph Knuckles who taught Zoology, Anatomy and Physiology and Parasitology in the Biology Department. Knuckles also served as Department Chair. $2,552,000
Helen T. Chick Building: Originally built in 1968 as a replacement for the original Chesnutt Library, it was renamed in honor of Helen Chick, a Professor of Art. This building houses University College. $1,377,000
Lauretta Taylor Gymnasium: Built in 1969, the gym was named in honor of Coach and Instructor Lauretta Taylor. It was previously known as the Women's Gym. $618,000
Facilities Maintenance Planning and Construction Building: Originally known as the Physical Plant Building $82,000, it was constructed in 1969. Since then, storage $4,000, physical plant $8,000, and vehicle shop $44,080 have been added. It was renovated after flooding in the early 2000's.
Collins Building: This building, constructed in 1970, was named in honor of William R. Collins, a member of the Board of Trustees for 19 years and the first Trustee Emeritus. It was originally named the E. E. Smith Administration Building. Renovated in 2005. $475,000. This building houses Admissions and Student Affairs.
Barber Building: This building, constructed in 1971, was named in honor of Dr. Carlton J. Barber, a member of the Board of Trustees for 25 years, 5 as Chairman and named Trustee Emeritus. $1,328,000 This building houses HR, Business & Finance and the Chancellor's Office. The Collins Building and Barber Building were named the E.E. Smith Administration Complex in 1981.
Rudolph Jones Student Center: This building was built in 1972 and was named in honor of Dr. Rudolph Jones, sixth president. This building houses much of the dining on campus as well as career services and banquet halls. $7,829,240
Butler Building: Constructed in 1975, this building was named in honor of Dr. George Lee Butler, a prominent Dentist, Chairman of the Board of Trustees and Fayetteville native. $2,503,000
Institutional Advancement Building: Built in 1976. This building houses communications & marketing, advancement services, publications, events management and alumni relations. It was previously the Continuing Education building. $265,000
New Residence Hall Completed in 1977. $1,580,000
Charles "A" Lyons Science Complex: Constructed in 1981, this building was named in honor of Dr. Lyons, seventh president and the first chancellor. $5,040,635
Marion "Rex" and Aronul E. Harris School of Business and Economics Building: This building was constructed in 1988 and, in 2004, named the Marion "Rex" and Aronul E. Harris School of Business and Economics. He was the first black businessman to own his own business, A & H Cleaners on Bragg Blvd. The building houses academic programs including the Broadwell College of Business & Economics. $6,441,000
Capel Arena Health, Physical Education & Recreation Complex or Sports Complex was constructed in 1995 and named in honor of Felton J. Capel, a Board of Trustees' member. $9,700,000. Press Box was added in 1997 $630,700
Lloyd V. Hackley Honors Hall: This building was constructed as a dormitory in 1997 and named in honor of Chancellor Lloyd V. Hackley. $3,479,600
Willis B. McLeod Hall: This building, constructed in 2005, was formerly known as Bronco Hall. $6,529,000
FSU Bookstore in Bronco Square: Across the street from the main campus is Bronco Square. You can find the bookstore, veteran's office and civic engagement.
University Place Apartments: University Place Apartments (UPA) is a beautiful complex a few yards from the main campus gates. Upperclassmen students can enjoy single bedroom apartments in a safe and friendly community atmosphere. University Place Apartments can house more than 300 students in several three-story apartment buildings.
FSU Fire Station Fayetteville Fire Station 14 at FSU is designed with classrooms and dormitory style rooms to support programs developed through a partnership between the City of Fayetteville, FSU, FTCC and E.E. Smith High School.
Charles "A" Lyons Science Annex: LSA was built in 2008. It houses classrooms and labs. The building was named after the first Chancellor, Charles "A" Lyons. $14,371,356 Renaissance Hall Renaissance Hall was built in 2012. It is the newest residence hall on campus. Renaissance Hall houses up to 336 residents in double occupancy rooms. Located near the top of campus, students are a few steps away from the School of Business and Economics Building and the Butler Building, which is home to the English and Education Departments. $14,718,781 Southeastern NC Nursing Education and Research Center The Nursing Center was built in 2011. It houses classrooms and state-of-the-art laboratories. $6,994,998 Science & Technology Building The Science & Technology Building was built in 2012 and houses the EcoGround Coffee shop. It also houses the Center for Defense and Homeland Security program. $21,232,371