Hours: Exterior view or by appointment only, Open daily before dusk.
The Hale House was constructed in 1847 and first owned by one of the journalistic forefathers of Fayetteville, Edward J. Hale. Hale, who came to Fayetteville as a young man, bought the Carolina Observer in 1825 and changed its name to the Fayetteville Observer. He served as publisher of the Observer until 1865 when the press was destroyed by Union General William T. Sherman. The destruction of the press was one of Sherman's objectives when he came to Fayetteville, citing it as a "rebel newspaper" of great importance.