Hours: Exterior view only. Open to the public daily, before dusk.
Duncan McLeran constructed this two-story Federal-style dwelling in 1800. In 1820, the property was sold and remodeled to accommodate the Bank of the United States, the first federal bank in North Carolina. The house is named for John Sandford, a bank cashier who purchased the property as a residence for his family in 1832, after the bank closed.
According to local tradition, the residence was used as a barracks for Union troops during Gen. William T. Sherman's occupation of Fayetteville in March 1865.