On this site stood the first Lafayette Hotel, built by Robert Donaldson in 1824 and was completed in time for Lafayette's visit in March 1825. It was a Georgian brick structure; three and a half stories high, with a hipped roof, and dormer windows. A glass transom and sidelights framed the main entrance on Hay Street. On the evening of March 4, 1825, a large ball was held in Lafayette's honor at this newly completed hotel, where the rooms had been decorated with evergreens and flowers. In the late afternoon of March 5, a farewell dinner was held here for Lafayette. The bronze marker is on the building facing Donaldson Street.