Hurricane

Hurricane Florence Room Availability

We are updating our hotel room availability as we get the information. Click on link below to see latest room availability by hotel. Read More

MENU
< Back To Previous

Long Street Presbyterian Church and Cemetery

  • Overview

    Long Street Presbyterian Church is one of the first established in this area, along with Bluff and Barbeque churches, during the mid-1700s. The first congregation, composed of Highland Scots who settled in the area, met in 1756 in McKay’s meeting house, until 1765 when the first Long Street Church was built out of logs. Likely built with slave labor, the standing two-story wooden church was completed in 1847 and represents the third church of this Argyle Community. Built on land owned by Duncan McLaughlin, the building and 6 acres were sold to the congregation in 1850. Nearby a cemetery was established to serve the community. Still visible today, the cemetery is protected by a dry-laid stone wall and contains the earliest marker of 1773, and one marker with a Gaelic inscription. Dry-laid walls of this type were common among Highland crofters, and represent a skill transplanted to America. The graves of many early Scottish setters and their descendants, and possibly their slaves, are buried in this graveyard, along with one mass burial of Confederate soldiers killed at the nearby Battle of Monroe’s Crossroads. The U.S. Army bought the church, cemetery and land from the congregation in 1923 to establish Camp Bragg. Descendants still hold annual services once a year here. Open for escorted tours on the first Monday of each month or by special appointment. Visit Fort Bragg Cultural Resources Office for more details on individual and group tours, or call.