Built in circa 1817, this federal-style house is situated on a commanding site overlooking the city below. Major Strange was the Commander of the Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry, which escorted Lafayette during his visit to Fayetteville. He was also the Master of the Phoenix Masonic Lodge, which entertained Lafayette. Upon Lafayette's death, Fayetteville held a memorial service at the First Presbyterian Church on July 12, 1834, in which Major Strange delivered an eloquent eulogium on the character and services of Lafayette. The bronze marker is located on the ground to the right of the driveway.