The circa 1832 Market House, which is a designated National Landmark, served as both the Town Hall above and the Market Place below. Commerce, however was not confined to the space under the Town Hall, but included the 200 foot square surrounding it. Goods would arrive from boats on the Cape Fear River as well by wagon from the surrounding back country. The Market House was the hub of antebellum Plank Road construction to include the 129 mile road to Salem. Carts, wagons, and hucksters swarmed into Market Square to buy, sell, and trade goods. In 1982, an archaeological project along Hay Street, near the Market House, revealed portions of the Plank Road, which are included in an exhibit at the Transportation and Local History Museum.