Previously known as the State House, it was here that North Carolina ratified the U.S. Constitution in 1789 and chartered the University of North Carolina. In 1831, a fire destroyed downtown Fayetteville, including the State House and the Market House was rebuilt on its site. As a marketplace, various peddlers sold cotton and other agricultural products here. Although not built as a slave market, slaves were sold here over the years until slavery was abolished in 1865. During the Civil War, a skirmish took place around the Market House involving Confederate General Hampton's and Union General Sherman's troops.