The Market House is the focal point of downtown Fayetteville and is where North Carolina ratified the Constitution of the United States in 1789 and chartered the University of North Carolina the same year. In 1825, General Marquis de Lafayette addressed the citizens of Fayetteville here. On May 29, 1831, a fire broke out and destroyed over 600 structures in downtown Fayetteville, including the old State House. Immediately following the fire, the Market House was rebuilt on this site. In 1907, through the determined efforts of the Women's Club of Fayetteville, the Market House was saved in what was probably the earliest example of the historic preservation in North Carolina. Architecturally, the Market House is one of the few structures in America to use the town hall market scheme found in England.