MENU
< Back To Previous

Market House

  • Person, Hay, Green, Gillespie Streets
  • Fayetteville, NC 28301
  • Overview

    The Market House was built in 1832 on the site of the old State House, which was destroyed by the fire of 1831. It was within the walls of the State House that North Carolina ratified the Constitution of the U.S in 1789, chartered the University of North Carolina and ceded her western lands to form Tennessee. It was also on this site that a brief skirmish happened during the U.S. Civil War. Today the Market House is one of 40 National Landmarks in North Carolina.
  • Map