< Back To Previous

Sandford House

  • Overview

    Duncan McLeran constructed this two-story Federal-style dwelling around 1800. In 1820, the property was sold and remodeled to accommodate the Bank of the United States, the first federal bank in North Carolina. The house is named for John Sandford, a bank cashier who purchased the property as a residence for his family in 1832 after the bank closed. According to local legend, the residence was used for barracks for the Union troops during General William T. Sherman's occupation of Fayetteville in March 1865. Open by appointment.
  • Map