According to a deed dated November 18, 1873, a piece of land was sold by Henry McDonald to the Trustees of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church of America. With this tract of land, the first substantial building was constructed with the name of Beaver Creek Chapel and steps of progress were seen. In 1887, under the leadership of Reverend M. N. Levy, an antique church bell was purchased. In October 1923, under the administration of Reverend E. Johnson McKoy, the church building was remodeled. The name was changed from Beaver Creek A. M. E. Zion Church to Simon Temple A. M. E. Zion Church on November 9, 1976, in recognition of Simon the Cyrene, who helped Jesus carry his cross.