The earliest owners of this house were John Smith and later George Lauder. Lauder was a native of Edinburgh, Scotland and became the most noted stone mason in 19th century North Carolina, recruited from Scotland in the 1830s, to help rebuild the State Capitol in Raleigh, NC. Later, he was a stone mason at the Fayetteville Arsenal before going into business for himself. He had a marble yard near Hay and Old Streets in Fayetteville. George Lauder is best known locally for carving many tombstones and the 1868 Confederate monument located in Cross Creek Cemetery.