On the evening of March 4, 1825, Lafayette was lodged at the State Banking House, the residence of Duncan MacRae, esq., which was located on this site. The bank was an imposing structure of heavy stonework and brick. Shortly after arriving, Lafayette appeared on the balcony where citizens were assembled below and was saluted by the military. He then dined in the company of Governor Burton, the several committees, and some of the oldest citizens of the town. This site is now the location of the old Cumberland County Courthouse. The bronze marker can be found on the ground to the left of the stairs.