Previously known as the State House, it was here that North Carolina ratified the U.S. Constitution in 1789 and chartered the University of North Carolina. In 1831, a fire destroyed downtown Fayetteville, including the State House and the Market House was rebuilt on its site. As a marketplace, various peddlers sold cotton and other agricultural products here. Although not built as a slave market, slaves were sold here over the years until slavery was abolished in 1865. During the Civil War, a skirmish took place around the Market House involving Confederate General Hampton's and Union General Sherman's troops.
Hours: Exterior View Only. Open to the public, daily before dusk.
Next Stop: Continue around the traffic circle, Person Street becomes Hay Street. Make a right onto Ray Avenue. Make a right onto Maiden Lane. Make right onto Burgess Street.