Built in 1915, by African-American contractor James Waddell. The Orange Street School is believed to be the oldest building associated with education in Fayetteville. Before its construction, black students had been attending classes in a small, one-room schoolhouse for nearly 50 years. The school continued to function as an educational facility for 38 years. The upstairs now serves as a museum where Bishop James Walker Hood's top hat and bible can be viewed. He was an early founder and pastor of Evans Metropolitan A.M.E. Zion Church. The home of Edward Evans, the original principal of Orange Street School, is located across the street.
Hours: Exterior view, daily before dusk or by appointment only.
Next Stop: Keep going on Orange Street. Make a left onto Cumberland Street. Make a slight right onto Murchison Road. Make a right onto FSU Campus on Coley Drive.