The land on which the Sanford House stands was purchased by Duncan McLeran in 1800, the house was erected shortly thereafter. Likely designed by the acclaimed architect, William Nichols of Bath, England, the Oval Ballroom was built around 1818. The Sanford House was purchased by John William Sanford, a cashier at the Fayetteville bank, in 1823. It is believed the ghost of Mrs. Sanford haunts the second floor of the home. The freestanding single room, called the Oval Ballroom is octagonal on the outside, the interior contains a splendid oval chamber. The Baker-Haigh-Nimocks house, with a circular staircase, was built around 1804. It is a fine example of a low country house, found throughout the coastal Carolinas.