According to a deed dated November 18,1873, a piece of land was sold by Henry McDonald to the Trustees of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church of America. With this tract of land, the first substantial building was constructed with the name of Beaver Creek Chapel and steps of progress were seen. In 1887, under the leadership of Reverend M. N. Levy, an antique church bell was purchased. In October 1923, under the administration of Reverend E. Johnson McKoy, the church building was remodeled.
The name was changed from Beaver Creek A. M. E. Zion Church to Simon Temple A. M. E. Zion Church on November 9, 1976, in recognition of Simon the Cyrene, who helped Jesus carry his cross.
Hours: Daily, before dusk. Exterior view or by appointment only.
Next Stop: Turn around on Yadkin Road and head back towards Sante Fe Drive. Make a left onto Santa Fe Drive. Make a left onto All-American Freeway. Take All-American Freeway into Fort Bragg. ***Only U.S. Citizens may enter the post. All visitors must stop at All-American Welcome Center, on left, show ID and receive Visitors Pass to access Fort Bragg.*** Once through gate, take All-American to Longstreet Road. Turn Right onto Longstreet Road. Turn Right onto Sedgewick Street. Proceed to Sedgewick and Jackson Street.