Begun as a Sunday School, the church was later organized in 1844, and named Presbyterian Church of Rockfish Factory, taking its name from their meeting place. The community of Rockfish, later known as Hope Mills, boasted North Carolina's largest cotton mill of the 1840s and 1850s, the Rockfish Manufacturing Company. The name of the church was changed to Big Rockfish Presbyterian Church when relocated on land donated by Hector McNeil and David Murphy in 1855. The present structure is Greek Revival and its adjacent cemetery contains early Scottish graves. This church still holds services.