On the National Register of Historic Places, the 1897 Poe House features a wraparound porch on the first floor and a one-bay porch projecting over the main entrance on the second story. It has Eastlake-style detailing in the porch spindles and scroll work. Wood grain wainscoting and decorative application to the ceilings are found in the house as well as some of the original gas fixtures (now converted to electricity). E.A. Poe of Fayetteville had the house built for his wife, Josephine Montague of Wake County, and their eight children. Mr. Poe was a successful businessman manufacturing bricks and utilitarian pottery. The house contains many original furnishings and focuses on early 20th- century life in southeastern North Carolina.
Open to the public.
Next Stop: Make a right onto Arsenal Avenue out of the parking lot. Make a left onto Bradford Avenue.