MENU
< Back To Previous

The Fayetteville Arsenal

  • 801 Arsenal Avenue
  • Fayetteville, NC 28305
  • Overview

    In 1836, Congress chose Fayetteville as the site of a U.S. Arsenal, and by 1858, a compound of multiple workshops created a manufactory. The arsenal achieved full manufactory capabilities under the Confederate States of America. It produced rifles, gun carriages, and ammunition for the Confederate forces. Hundreds of Fayetteville men joined the Confederate ranks. Local women worked at the arsenal rolling cartridges. Fayetteville operated hospitals for wounded soldiers. Much of the remnants of the U.S. Arsenal can be seen on display at the Museum of the Cape Fear Historical Complex. 10 am - dusk. (910) 486-1330